Sunday, December 20, 2009

Effects of Microphone


I went to NYU Repertory Orchestra's concert two weeks ago. My friend played Beethoven Piano concerto No.5 "Emperor" with NYU Repertory Orchestra. I had many chances to hear my friend's performance before the concert and her sound is so delicate and grandiouse. The concert was held in Frederick Loewe Theater which is in NYU. I think that resonance of the theater is not sufficient to play orchestra pieces. There were few michrophones and one of the michrophones was placed inside the piano. When my friend started performance I was surprise by her sound. Even though the piano was Steinway & Sons, sound was like electronic piano. I could not understand why the michrophone was inside the piano. I had a doubt whether they did check sound or not. The theater is small and the piano was too close to audiences. It was looked like they did not need to use a michrophone for concert. I know that it was for record. However, I believe that if effects of a michrophone make sound quality worse they should not place a michrophone inside a piano.

1 comment:

  1. I've never considered that before, interesting. I agree with you about microphones in general, especially in small intimate setting, I like it better when the musician steps away from the mic and sings or plays without one, although of course that would not be a good idea in a grandiose theatre...

    ReplyDelete